Hands and house

Hands and house

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Some answers!

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.
Psalm 40:1-3

Before anything I want to say Thank you to all of you who have been praying! Today I finally talked to the Pediatrician (who is wonderful by the way). He had talked to the Cardiologist and she had looked over Georgia's file. Most of you know that we were really seeking answers about whether Georgia needed oxygen on the plane. Some medical professionals had told us that she would not survive the flight without it but the Cardiologists we approached would not prescribe oxygen until they had physically seen Georgia (i.e. once she was here). Well, after 9 weeks we finally have answers, good solid, clear answers that we are very comfortable with! This is more than I had hoped for!
So we got a ton of information that I am happy to share individually if people want to know the details but the broad brushstroke version is that (from her 12 month files) Georgia's TOF seems to be very straight forward. I know that it sounds strange to call serious, untreated congenital heart disease straight forward but there can be a lot of extra complicating factors for kids with TOF and so far Georgia (at 12 months) did not seem to be having any of these.
As far as the oxygen issue goes, the Cardiologist feels like the flight is a risk but putting the oxygen & cannula on an already grieving toddler who is on her first plane flight could also be very traumatic and the main thing is that we keep her very calm. So, the plan is that we come with the pediatric tubing for oxygen so that we could access the emergency oxygen on the plane if need be but that we would not plan on bringing our own (oxygen). This feels like a very good plan to me, one that we can tailor for Georgia.
Then, our plan when we land in Seattle will be to hunker down for the night and get Georgia to the Cardiologist probably the next day. Again, this avoids the risk factors of the ER (exposure to illness which is dangerous for kids about to have open heart surgery) but also gets her seen very quickly. I feel very good about this as well!
SO Phew! It feels like we can take a big breath, look at the plan and start preparing for what lies ahead.
Please keep praying for Georgia, for her heart and body as well as for her emotions as her whole little world changes. We would still also love prayer for a medical update and pictures as that would help refine this plan and really know where she is medically now a ton. And of course we still need to get our LOA (Letter of Acceptance) and our TA (Travel Approval) before we can go and get this little miracle of ours!
Thanks so much for all of your prayers!


TanyaLea said...

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love new visitors and followers!! All of you are like special guests, stopping by my "home" for a visit and getting to know us better. My bloggy friends mean the world to me, as we all seem to share such common threads.

I will continue to pray for your family and for wisdom regarding all of the necessary arrangements to bringing sweet Georgia home! I have already done so this evening and believing with you for an updated medical report and new photos... I know how important they are...for many reasons!! :)

Big Hugs,

Miller Moments said...

I'm so glad you got some answers that you are comfortable with. One step closer to getting her here!


Related Posts with Thumbnails